vrijdag 17 januari 2014

The angry taxi driver: the stress ripple effect

This afternoon I experienced a nice example of what I call the "stress mulitiplictor." I took a taxi at the trainstation in Antwerp. After I told the driver my destination, he started the car and pulled out of the taxi stand without looking if the road was safe. To his surprise an upcoming driver hooted to warn him. The taxidriver was so upset, opened his door an shouted: "I am fed up with all this agression in traffic", he slammed the door and drove on. ( who is the agressor?) After 20 meters he was forced to stop before a traffic light. The light turned green but the car in front hesitated a few seconds: the taxdriver started hooting! (who is the agressor?) When we continued our road he started complaining how everybody in Antwerp was unpolite and spoiled. "What we need is a good war, to bring them back to reality." (who is the agressor?) I tried to change the subject by saying it was rather cold for the time of the year. To which he replied "yeah, i'm sure we will get a lousy summer as well." (so he even is able to predict the future)

I watched the whole spectacle with a mindful attitude, as if I was watching a reality show on tv. But I do feel sorry for the taxi-driver. I think I will print some business cards with at the one side a smiley and at the other an inspirational quote.
I will hand out these cards next time I experiece a similar situation.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten